11.23.2013

November stuff and stuffing

     I suppose this post marks the end of the unintentional blog hiatus I have been on for the past year or so.  I never forgot about it, I just wasn't sure what to write about.  It seems that time goes by faster and faster as I grow older and it is hard to believe that it has almost been a year since I moved to Logan to complete my education; a time that was very challenging for me as I tried to anticipate plans after graduation but was unsure of what the future held.  In my first post when I started this blog almost three years ago (that's weird to think about...), I wrote that I would like to work with children who have disabilities in an educational setting following graduation.  I am currently working for Canyons School District as a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant and am so grateful this position was placed in my path.  The joy I receive from serving the students on my caseload each day reaffirms my love for occupational therapy and I am constantly reminded of how much I have to be grateful for.  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, whom I have grown to admire, respect, love and cherish for the many words he has spoken that have changed my life on several different occasions, put it best when he said, "I bear witness of that day when loved ones whom we knew to have disabilities in mortality will stand before us glorified and grand, breathtakingly perfect in body and mind.  What a thrilling moment that will be!  I do not know whether we will be happier for ourselves that we have witnessed such a miracle or happier for them that they are fully perfect and finally "free at last."  Until that hour when Christ's consummate gift is evident to us all, may we live by faith, hold fast to hope, and show compassion one of another."

     Friends, we have so much to be thankful for, to be happy about, and to do before our time in this life is finished.  Just over two years ago, I read a talk written by President Gordon B. Hinckley entitled This I Believe.  He said, "What a therapeutic and wonderful thing it is for a man or woman to set aside all consideration of personal gain and reach out with strength and energy and purpose to help the unfortunate, to improve the community, to clean up the environment, and to beautify our surroundings.  No man can live fully and happily who lives only unto himself."

     True happiness in this life comes from serving others and doing good to those around us.  "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.  And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good - to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted." - Jacob 2:18, 19

     It has been almost a year since I last shared some thoughts on the internet machine.  Perhaps the holiday season has inspired me.  Let it inspire you as well.  Let your hearts be full of compassion, love, gratitude and hope this Thanksgiving and carry those feelings with you throughout the month of December as we celebrate the birth of Christ.  I cannot think of a better way to show appreciation for the life He gave than by striving to live as He did.

No comments:

Post a Comment